This first anchor chart is posted above the whiteboard in the center of the classroom. It is a very simple EDITING CHECKLIST for the students to use when writing sentences. All our sentences need to have an upper case letter at the beginning, spaces between the words, and punctuation in place at the end.
Another anchor chart that the students should be accessing is our criteria for RETELLING. This is a good anchor chart for parents to check when listening to your child retell his/her story-bit story or Take Home reading book.
Good retelling (of a fiction story) should:
- tell the important events
- tell the events in the right order
- use sequencing words—First, Next, Then, Last that makes it easier for a listener or reader to understand
- tell what the problem is (at the beginning of the retell)
- tell what the solution is (at the end of the retell)
- what you learned from the story or the main idea